Skip to main content

Mom I Am



When I found out I was pregnant, I was shellshocked. Not shocked by the pregnancy but shocked by the reality of the situation. I was in my second year of university, dealing with very many personal issues and certain I didn't want children. I was sure I was pregnant before I did the test and even more certain that the confirmation would be too much for me to handle. So much so, actually, that I did the test right before my therapy session so I could immediately unload on my therapist.

One little line, one small marking that completely changed my life, my identity, my purpose. We often hear moms saying that they don't want to be boxed in as 'just a mom', and as one such mom, I fully agree. But here's the fact: 'mom' is so big a role, so encompassing a responsibility, that it in so many ways overshadow any other label we previously had. Honestly, for a while, it felt as much like a diagnosis as it did a title. I couldn't simply go to the pharmacist and request OTC drugs- I had to introduce myself as 'pregnant' or 'breastfeeding'. I couldn't just go hang out with friends and order any random drink or engage in any activity I wished to.

And boy, was that quite the transition. I went from devastated to disappoint to angry so rapidly I had emotional whiplash. And all this time I still had to be juggling my mental illness, the insane effects pregnancy was having on my emotional, mental and physical state, fighting with my course director to be reallowed into the programme and trying to accept that this was my new reality.

I would wake up each morning and feel myself fall into the rabbit hole of realization. I was pregnant. I was about to be responsible for an innocent, defenceless human. Me. In my wrecked state. It took me months before I was able to tell anyone - including my boyfriend. For the entire first trimester, I isolated myself. I went to classes and home and stayed locked away in my room. As the months passed so did my initial feelings and soon I was so used to the idea, I started making plans, getting excited, growing attached. I could feel myself becoming a mother, owning my new role, looking forward to all that it would bring. I finally shared it with my family and the overwhelming support they gave, the joy the news brought reminded me that I wasn't alone in this - I could do this. And 3 years later - I wouldn't have it any other. I'm a mom, a proud one. And my cup is full 😃


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakti Journey: Day 1

  Captains Log: Day 1  (because I'm the captain of this body. Rawr!) So there I am, nose pressed to my pink yoga mat, beads of sweat or tears rolling down my face, plop ! What on Earth did I sign up for, I groan internally - internally because there's barely any air left in my lungs to force sounds out.  The truth is, over the burn and ache from my unfit body is my heart yelling, You better stick to it!  For too long I've been pledging, promising, declaring that I'll start exercising, being more active, taking care of my body. Yet, years later, the most I've been able to commit to is an hour of yoga therapy per week (thanks Trishan !). As beneficial as that has been, I have to admit that my body needs more activity.   One of the first things you'll hear when you start a new fitness programme or commit to a lifestyle change is that you need a goal, an endgame, something to work towards. Mine is fairly simple - I want to feel more comfortable in my body. Does t

Requiem for a Bottle

She brings him a bottle every morning. Laying it right between our sleeping forms. I hear her as she pads into my room, presenting her prize like an offering to a tiny god. I never hear her leave, never hear her walk pass in the first place. She tries to be silent, to not wake us. I pretend to still be asleep, spooning the tiny body to my left as he stirs lightly. She brings him a bottle at 7:30 am, every day without fail. It's a simple gesture that says, "I know what you need." A simple reminder that she understands his routine. And when he awakens he reaches for it, so naturally, so expectantly. One small hand curling upward, between our forms, grasping the warm, full bottle. It's a simple gesture that says, "I know you didn't forget." A simple reminder that says he trusts her to respect his routine. She brings him a bottle but always leaves it closed - just in case , so he taps my eyelids, waking me. Without opening my eyes I remove the lid a